Friday, October 19, 2012

Hells Angels




 
My Grandfather, John Clancy, pictured in the top two photos (on right), was a photographer for the "Hells Angels" 303rd Bombardment 358th Squadron stationed in England during WWII. These photos are from his scrapbooks that I found in an old oak box last year. Like many, my Grandfather never spoke of the war in front of us kids, and I'm not sure he really spoke of it at all, except perhaps to those he served with. When he returned home, he took a job as a custodian at Millis High School, and was an Honorary Police Officer for the town.

As a young child, I remember his happy demeanor, and how much he loved his family. Unfortunately he ended up suffering from Alzheimer's, which proved to be a slow and emotionally painful process. His stories and secrets vanished from his mind his mind, some I'm sure he was happy to see go, but part of the tale remained safe inside this box.

No comments:

Post a Comment